Data Volume Management Strategy
In a large-scale system such as SAP, huge amounts of data are created in a relatively short time interval. On average, two years after go-live, the data quickly becomes obsolete. The volume of data can also have a negative effect on the overall system performance and can increase the maintenance time required for backups.
Our Database Volume Analysis report was developed to help ensure organizations can properly evaluate current data volume and recommend the best strategy to implement an Information Lifecycle Management strategy.
The DVMS report is focused on two main goals.
- Provide a data volume management strategy for current and future use of a SAP system.
- Reduce the overall database size and improve overall system performance; a strategy recommended by SAP.
Benefits of an Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) strategy
The main reasons organizations will define and implement an Information Lifecycle Management strategy is to reduce disk space by moving data the is no longer necessary for day to day operation while at the same time preserving availability, accuracy, system efficiency, and legal/audit requirements.
The cost of system storage is not the only factor to consider. Data duplication is very common within organizations, where data is being repeated 3 or 4 times elsewhere in the system landscape. The real cost in providing database disk space is a fraction of the overall cost of a storage system. System ‘space management’ costs can 5 to 7 times greater, no including the cost of database management.
Benefits for IT
• Reduce production database size
• Reduction of production database, will in turn reduce system copies
• Faster backup, recovery, and overall database maintenance
• Reduction in time required for database and SAP upgrades
• Reduction in overall time required during a Unicode conversion
• Reduction in overall time required during a OS/DB migration
• Enable aggregation or summarization of data
• Lowering the total cost of ownership (TCO)
• Delaying storage acquisition and being more efficient of current storage capacity
Benefits for Business Users
• Faster system response time
• Faster access to transactional data
• Faster query response time
• Faster report generation
• Highlight business processes that are incorrectly configured
• Ensuring documents/processes are completed, closed or cleared
• Possible disabling of features which create unnecessary data
We would love to hear from you!
Sigma was founded with the vision of being market focused, customer-centered organization that develops and delivers innovative solutions to our customers, and provides a dynamic and challenging environment for our employees.